Looking for my Going Out of YARN Business Sale? Got to www.AnnasGottaCrochet.ESTY.com

Looking for my Furls Crochet Hooks & Accessories? Go to my New Shop at www.AnnasGottaCrochet2.Etsy.com

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Turn Thin Yarn Into Bulky Yarn Using Only 1 Skein

Have you ever been looking for just the right colorway of bulky yarn but you can only find the right colorway in a thin weight yarn?  I have, and it's so frustrating.  But last year I learned how to turn a single skein of thin yarn into a triple thick bulky weight yarn so I can make thick projects like a winter scarf or cowl.  I watched this YouTube video by Stardust Gold.  She makes it So Easy!


After mastering this technique, that only sounds complicated until you actually see it done, I made a triple thick bulky yarn out of some left over Caron Cakes Red Velvet yarn, I made this cowl.

Super Bulky Caron Cake Red Velvet yarn worked in Moss Stitch
See the stitch detail.
Pretty Rolled up Cowl














Such a clever technique that every crocheter should have in their tool bag.  Not only did I get to use a colorway that I really liked, but I was even to maintain the self-striping effect that would not not have been possible when just holding 3 strands of  yarn together.  Isn't this cool?!

After making that cowl, I pulled out some left over Premier Yarns Candy Shop worsted weight yarn and made this buttoned cowl. Aren't those wooden buttons just perfect for this cowl?  I bought them from Jenell at Nana's Pretty Girls Etsy shop.

Super Bulky Premier Yarns Candy Shop Yarn worked in a Moss Stitch with 2 wooden buttons added.

This technique has some great additional uses, like when you're making a hat using a single strand of yarn, but want to make the brim extra thick without changing colors, just go watch Nicki's video on how to use this technique to make your yarn triple thick starting right in the middle of your work.  See her tutorial video HERE.

Now go look through your stash of thinner yarns to see what pretty colorways you can turn into bulky weight yarn without having to wrestle with 3 skeins of yarn at once.  I hope you'll share your finished projects using this technique and tag me @AnnasGottaCrochet on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.


Anna


No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for the comment, I can't wait to read it. To keep bots and spammers from interrupting our conversations, all comments must go through moderation first. Your comment will go live shortly!

Anna