Looking for my Going Out of YARN Business Sale? Got to www.AnnasGottaCrochet.ESTY.com

Looking for my Furls Crochet Hooks & Accessories? Go to my New Shop at www.AnnasGottaCrochet2.Etsy.com

Friday, February 28, 2020

How Crocheting Helps Me, Help Others

I crochet almost compulsively.  It could be said that I am OCD about crocheting.  If I'm a passenger in a vehicle I feel anxious and fidgety unless I am crocheting during the drive.  Even a short drive to town is sufficient time to get another row on a child's blanket, and a 6 hour drive to and from our grandkids homes is enough of a trip to complete a small blanket or a hat and scarf set before we arrive.

Road Trip Blanket in progress.
I'm so obsessed with crochet (and now knitting too) that I never have less than 5 WIP's (works in progress) at any given time, and often many more than just 5.   Every member of my family has at least one personal blanket that I've made them, and many other items too, like hats, scarves, sweaters, face scrubbies, toys, etc.  Heck, even my country neighbors sport my handmade items during the cold Colorado winters.  What I don't make for my family or friends I usually give away.  I make little hats or lovies that my daughter gives to the foster kids that attend my grandsons daycare.

My favorite thing to make are kids blankets.  I don't even know how many I have made, I've been crocheting for about 50 years.  I've made a blanket for every new baby's arrival in my circle of friends and family.  I mostly make baby to teen-sized blankets that I donate to charities that work with children in crisis situations.  I love these blankets the most because I know how much my grandchildren love the ones I make them, and they aren't in a crisis.
Kids Charity Blanket - C2C

When I am making a charity blanket for a child I think about the possible child that will receive the blanket the whole time I am making it.  I choose colors and stitch patterns that I think would be comforting or cheerful.  It makes me feel so good inside knowing that my positive energy is going into the blanket with every stitch I make, and hopefully when that child cuddles up in this blanket they will feel some of that loving energy from me.

Who do you crochet for?  Yourself, family and friends, charity, or do you sell your makes?  What is your favorite thing to make?  I would love to hear from you.

If you would like to make childrens blankets for charity, Project Linus is a worthy charity that is always looking for handmade children's blanket.  You can find your local chapter HERE.  Check with your local law enforcement agencies too, they often times accept childrens blankets or stuffed toys themselves or they can direct you to local agencies that accept donations.

Happy Crocheting!

Anna
















No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for the comment, I can't wait to read it. To keep bots and spammers from interrupting our conversations, all comments must go through moderation first. Your comment will go live shortly!

Anna